- Choose a heart-healthy diet that would help reduce your risk factors for heart disease, like high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, overweight, and obesity.
- Design a diet for a client using guidelines of Heart Healthy Diet.
- Compare and explain in detail Heart Healthy Diet, TLC Diet, and DASH diet.
- Describe the symptoms of lactose intolerance and suggest a few simple ways to deal with the symptoms.
- Describe some of the serious health problems linked to obesity.
- Describe carpal tunnel syndrome and suggest ways to prevent it.
- Describe menstruation and menstrual cycle.
- Describe bacterial vaginosis (BV) and identify women who are at greater risk for getting BV.
- Explain why women should not practice douching.
- Describe uterine fibroids and various treatments for fibroids.
- List some of the symptoms of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).
- Explain how PCOS is diagnosed.
- Explain endometriosis, list its symptoms, and describe the hormonal and surgical treatment for endometriosis.
- Explain reasons why hysterectomies are often done.
- Compare urine and blood pregnancy tests.
- Outline the Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDAs) for pregnant women.
- Describe the importance of folic acid for women.
- Classify drugs according to their safety during pregnancy.
- Describe fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS) and list the most common birth defects or problems of FAS.
- Explain why mothers should breastfeed their babies for as long as possible.
- Review various birth control methods with estimates of their effectiveness.
- List symptoms of perimenopause.
- List symptoms of menopause.
- Identify the benefits and risks of hormone therapy.
- Perform a breast self-exam.
- Explain the importance of regular mammograms and answer various questions about mammograms.
- Discuss the pros and cons of breast-conserving surgery with radiation therapy and mastectomy for women with early-stage breast cancer.
- Describe how a Pap test is performed and emphasize how important it is for women to take the test regularly.
- Identify seven factors that increase a woman’s risk for cancer of the cervix.
- Describe various types of heart and cardiovascular diseases.
- Identify five steps a woman can take to reduce her risk for heart and cardiovascular disease.
- Describe the effects of birth control pills and hormone therapy on a woman’s risk for heart disease.
- Explain various tests available to diagnose heart disease.
- Identify risk factors that contribute to high blood pressure.
- List various medicines used to treat high blood pressure.
- Describe atherosclerosis and its major symptoms.
- Explain angina and identify four signs that may indicate one is having a heart attack.
- Distinguish between stable angina and unstable angina.
- List signs of a heart attack and explain tests that can diagnose a heart attack.
- List nine risk factors for coronary artery disease.
- Describe the effect of the stroke on the body as it affects certain parts of the brain.
- Identify some common triggers or causes of asthma.
- Describe and differentiate between TB infection and TB disease.
- Describe three types of diabetes and their symptoms.
- Explain glucose tests that provide a diagnosis of diabetes.
- Explain hypoglycemia and list its symptoms.
- Identify conditions that would put a woman at greater risk for urinary tract infection (UTI).
- Explain how a UTI is diagnosed.
- List some signs and symptoms of interstitial cystitis (IC) and explain how it is diagnosed.
- Explain the bladder system and describe how it works.
- Describe different types of urinary incontinence.
- Describe various treatments for urinary incontinence.
- List symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and explain how diet and stress affect IBS.
- Explain what causes inflammatory bowel disease. (IBD).
- Describe the symptoms and treatment of two most common forms of IBD, ulcerative colitis, (UC) and Crohn’s disease (CD).
- Describe various types of anemia and their causes.
- List the iron requirement for children and women at various age groups.
- List various signs of hemochromatosis and describe treatment for hemochromatosis.
- Describe the symptoms of bleeding disorders and their treatment.
- Explain what causes varicose and spider veins.
- Cite some of the most common examples of autoimmune diseases.
- List common symptoms associated with allergies.
- Describe the treatment of allergies and possible side effects from treatment.
- Describe various types of arthritis and their symptoms.
- Describe various treatments for arthritis.
- Describe chronic fatigue syndrome, its causes, and its signs and symptoms.
- List symptoms of fibromyalgia and explain its diagnosis.
- Describe the symptoms of Graves’ Disease.
- Distinguish between Graves’ Disease and Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis.
- Describe various forms of lupus and their symptoms.
- Describe four major treatments for lupus.
- Describe various types of thyroid disorders and their symptoms.
- Explain how acne develops.
- Describe the treatment for acne.
- Describe five forms of psoriasis and their general treatment.
- List behaviors or warning signs that may indicate the presence of an eating disorder.
- Describe various eating disorders and explain what causes eating disorders.
- List several signs of anorexia nervosa.
- Describe how anorexia affects a person’s whole body.
- List several signs of bulimia nervosa.
- Describe the three types of postpartum depression women can have after giving birth.
- List signs of postpartum depression.
- Describe five types of anxiety disorders and their symptoms.
- List symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder.
- List symptoms of specific and social phobias.
- Describe how phobias are treated.
- Identify various causes of dementia.
- List symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Describe how stress can affect a woman’s body and health.
- Describe several techniques to help one handle stress better.
- Explain what caregivers can do to prevent stress and burnout.
- Describe various types of sleeping disorders.
- Describe the treatment for insomnia.
- Describe sleep apnea and identify people who are more likely to develop sleep apnea.
- Describe various symptoms of narcolepsy.
- Describe restless legs syndrome and its common symptoms.
- List common STDs and their symptoms.
- Provide a classification of five types of hepatitis.
- Outline safe-sex practices that would lower chances of getting hepatitis.
- Describe four stages of syphilis and list signs of syphilis in each of these stages.
- Describe the signs and symptoms of gonorrhea.
- List symptoms of genital herpes.
- Explain how a person can become infected with HIV.
- Explain how alcohol affects women differently than men.
- Describe fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS) and the birth defects or problems caused by it.
- Outline steps to help a woman quit smoking for good.
- Identify problems caused to the body by date rape drugs, such as GHB, Ketamine and Rohypnol.
- Describe the practice of female genital cutting (FGC) and explain why it is still practiced.
- Describe major health problems that affect a lot of African American women.
- Identify health conditions for which lesbians are at risk or tend to be at greater risk than women are in general.
- Discuss prohibited ingredients in cosmetics and related safety issues.
Table of Contents
- Nutrition and Physical Activity – Chapter 01
- Pregnancy and Reproductive Health – Chapter 02
- Cancer Detection and Treatment – Chapter 03
- Heart/Lung Conditions & Stroke – Chapter 04
- Diabetes – Chapter 05
- Kidney, Urinary Tract and Bladder Disorders – Chapter 06
- Digestive Diseases – Chapter 07
- Circulatory System – Chapter 08
- Autoimmune Diseases – Chapter 09
- Skin Conditions – Chapter 10
- Eating Disorders – Chater 11
- Mental Health – Chapter 12
- Sleep Disorders – Chapter 13
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases – Chapter 14
- Substance Abuse – Chapter 15
- Violence Against Women – Chapter 16
- Minority Women & Special Groups – Chapter 17
- Cosmetics Safety – Chapter 18
“I really enjoyed this course! Good, concise information.” –Linda Dockery, RN, CA.
“Good information!” – Sandra Robinson, RN, CA.
“Very interesting. Very explanatory.” – Patricia Jimenez, CA
“I enjoyed this book & it’s contents. I thank you for the hard work behind it. Thanks again!” – Sosamma Poulose, RN, CA
“I have learned a lot of tips to keep myself healthy and prevent different types of infections.” – D.A., RN, CA
“I loved the format! The chapters identify the topic clearly. Great reference book to keep.” – Elizabeth Pirola, NC, Counselor
“Excellent! Covers a wide range of topics. I will use the manual as a reference book.” – Joanne Caprel, RN, DE
“Very informative! Great course presentation & format!” – Melchora A. Pascua, RN, CA
“I enjoyed this book very much. I can always use for future reference.” – Patricia A. Watkins, LVN, CA
“Very useful information. I’ll use in my daily life and to help others.” – Claudette N. Dean, RN, CA
“Very relevant and up to date info. Excellent! Great information to share for patient education.” – Bonita L. Swartz, RN, N.M.
“Very well ordered, complete, interesting. Good and current information.” – J.E.B., RN, NM