Chapter 1 Suturing Techniques In Oral Surgery
- State the primary function of sutures.
- List the three peculiarities of the oral cavity.
- State the three parameters used to measure the strength of a tissue.
- Define primary intention and state the three phases.
- List several local factors that affect healing.
- List several general factors that affect healing.
- Describe the inflammatory phase.
- Describe the proliferation phase.
- Describe the remodeling phase.
- Define restitution, tight junctions and anastomotic healing
- Define autocrine, paracrine and endocrine.
- Describe treatment for sepsis.
- List the steps of treatment for surgical wounds.
- Define autologous, heterologous and recombinant.
- Describe the four types of wounds.
- Describe several reactions to sutures.
Chapter 2 Technological Aspects
- Describe the three characteristics of surgical needles
- List the parts of the suture needle and several types.
- Discuss the history of suture materials and several prerequisites for today’s technology.
- Compare monofilaments and multifilaments.
- Compare resorbable and non-resorbable sutures.
- Describe suture removal and packaging specifications
Chapter 3 Auxiliary Materials
- Describe various needle holders.
- Compare surgical forceps and anatomical forceps.
- Discuss the parts and types of scissors.
Chapter 4 Clinical Applications
- Describe interrupted sutures.
- Describe the full surgeon’s knot.
- Describe the single-stitch continuous suture.
- Compare the external horizontal and external vertical mattress sutures.
- Compare the buried horizontal and buried vertical mattress sutures.
- Discuss the coronal seal and its importance in oral surgery.
- Describe the Gottlow suture.
- Describe the figure-of-eight suture.
- Describe the anchored suture.
- State the advantages and disadvantages of the simple anchored (sling) suture.
- Compare the sliding anchored (sling) suture and the criss-cross anchored suture.
- State the commonalities of the “H”,”U” and “X” anchored sutures.
- State the advantages and disadvantages of the continuous sling suture.
- Describe Cornick’s suture technique
- Discuss nerve suturing.