Successful Periodontal Therapy
Chapter 1 Goals and Clinical Outcomes of Non-Surgical Treatment
- Describe a periodontal pocket.
- Define plaque.
- State methods required for removing endotoxins from root surfaces.
- Describe root surface instumentation.
- Discuss the elimination of calculus.
- Describe signs of a healing pocket.
- Compare the hygiene phase and instrumentation phase.
- Discuss the main conclusions of the Badersten studies from Table 1-2.
Chapter 2 Hygiene Phase Therapy
- State the three crucial components of non-surgical periodontal therapy.
- Compare manual and powered toothbrushes.
- Compare the Bass technique and the Charters’ Method of brushing.
- Describe the three types of floss and tape.
- Describe chlorhexidine.
- List several key points of hygiene phase therapy.
Chapter 3 Instruments and Instrumentation
- Briefly describe the five scaling instruments.
- Compare the Universal and Gracey curettes.
- Describe the two categories of mechanized instruments.
- List several advantages of ultrasonic instrumentation.
- Describe an ergonomically correct handle.
Chapter 4 Managing Systemic Risk Factors
- Discuss the genetic risk factors for periodontitis.
- Explain negative effects on patients from genetic testing.
- Discuss the value of smoking cessation with patients.
- Describe the four stages of quitting and list the “Five Rs” approach.
- Discuss the two pharmacological smoking cessation aides.
- List several other risk factors for periodontitis.
Chapter 5 Managing Local Risk Factors
- Discuss traumatic relationships and the classifications.
- List predisposing factors for traumatic relationships and the treatment.
- List interferences that lead to occlusion trauma and manifests clinically after orthodontic treatment or restorations.
- Compare primary occlusal trauma and secondary occlusal trauma.
- Define furcation and list the treatment options.
- State the causes and treatment for localized gingival recession.
- List several iatrogenic risk factors.
Chapter 6 Adjunctive Treatments
- Discuss systemic antibiotics and the conditions they treat.
- Describe host modulatory therapy.
- Discuss the two types of local delivery systems.
- Compare the use of local delivery systems as monotherapy or as an adjunct.
Chapter 7 Supportive Periodontal Care
- Compare the types of primary and secondary supportive periodontal care.
- Discuss the studies from the 1980s regarding the progression of periodontitis.
- Discuss probing depths and bleeding on probing.
- Discuss compliance with supportive periodontal care.