- Discuss the importance of making radiographic examinations on children.
- Describe the schedule of radiographic survey in children depending upon the age.
- List various stages in the dental development of the child.
- Discuss the efficacy of the FDA guidelines for prescribing dental radiographs for detection of caries.
- Describe panoramic radiography and explain the technique.
- Discuss 5 advantages and 6 disadvantages of panoramic radiography over conventional full-mouth radiography.
- Describe the operational procedure for panoramic radiography.
- Describe digital dental radiology and compare it with conventional film-based radiography.
- List four benefits of direct digital radiographic systems.
- Describe eight measures for maintaining radiation safety for the operator and the patient.
- Explain the maximum permissible doses of whole-body radiation for a patient and for a dental auxilliary.
- Explain guidelines for prescribing dental radiographs for the child, adolescent and adult.
- Discuss when radiographic surveys should be made.
- Determine whether a periapical radiograph is of the right or left side.
- Describe step-by-step procedure for mounting radiographs.
- List five distinctive tooth characteristics and bone structures that make mounting of radiography easier.
To assess the effectiveness of the course material, we ask that you evaluate your achievement of each learning objective on a scale of A to D (A=excellent, B=good, C=fair, D=unsatisfactory). Please indicate your responses next to each learning objective and return it to us with your completed exam.
Guidelines for the use of dental radiographs
- New patients
- Recall patients
- Special circumstances
- For children, adolescents, adults
Radiography for children
- Tomographic technique
- Operational procedure
- Advantages and disadvantages
Direct digital radiography
- Charge-coupled device (CCD)
- Soredex Digora
- Equipment, film, lead aprons and collars, exposure technique, distance scatter radiation
Mounting the radiographs
- Mounting procedures