This concise handbook offers a useful outline of common oral diseases and dental conditions found in smokers. Its purpose is to alert dental professionals to particular risks of systemic diseases to tobacco users.
Current strategies for treating tobacco dependence offer primary care providers with tools to reduce the morbidity and mortality associated with chronic tobacco use. Promoting tobacco cessation is part of the oral health practitioner’s approach to delivering comprehensive care.
The guide is written to help professionals develop effective tactics in assisting patients in recovery from tobacco addiction. The authors propose a combination of interventional therapies, including nicotine-replacement therapy and smoking cessation counseling.
The authors make a strong case for the role of the oral health team as vanguards of patient education, disease prevention, and effective treatment.
- Includes FAQs from tobacco users with sample answer by dental professionals
- Appendix provides useful tobacco cessation resources on the Internet
- CD-ROM with complete text and images in color
- Continuing Education questions included on CD-ROM
Abel Rahim Mohammad, DDS, MS, MPH
Professor of Oral Medicine and Geriatric Dentistry
Director of Tobacco Cessation and Community Outreach Programs
College of Dentistry, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
Student Course Evaluation Form
We constantly strive to improve the quality and usefulness of our Internet study courses toward your continuing education. We ask that you fill out this questionnaire as part of the course assignment. This will allow us to monitor the quality of our program and make it responsive to your needs.
Please provide the following contact information:
After completing this course you’ll be able to:
- Describe the role of oral health professional in reducing the morbidity and mortality associated with chronic tobacco use.
- Outline common oral diseases and dental conditions found in smokers.
- Develop effective tactics in assisting patients in recovery from tobacco addiction.
- Prescribe pharmacotherapy for patients who use tobacco.
- Provide counseling to tobacco-using patients