- Understand the process of addiction and the symptoms of each stage.
- Explain how denial affects the substance abuser.
- Understand the importance of rituals in a substance abuser’s life.
- Describe the physiological effect of alcohol on all organs and major systems of the body.
- Describe the symptoms of withdrawal.
- Develop a nursing plan for the substance-abuser patient.
- Explain four myths about alcoholism.
- List five characteristics of the substance abuser.
- Describe the characteristics of a co-dependent.
- Have knowledge of the different kinds of treatment programs that are available.
- Describe how the intervention process is carried out.
- Describe the behavior in a dysfunctional family.
- Describe the progression of recovery.
- Describe a child’s development in a dysfunctional household.
- Explain the concept of relapse.
- Learning Objectives
- Process of Addiction
- Biological and Physiological Factors
- Drug of Choice
- Medical Complications
- High-Risk Factors for Substance Abuse
- Myths and Misconceptions
- Cultural and Social Factors
- Behavioral Factors
- Effects of Substance Abuse on the Family
- Treatment of Substance Abuse
- The Chemical Dependency Care Package
- References and Bibliography
- 1993 National Household Survey on Substance Abuse
- Post Test
“Subject was well presented – very informative. A lot of knowledge gained.”
– V.C., Albuquerque, NM
“Is it possible to purchase more of these Substance Abuse books – without the test – to pass on to family members?”
– S.F., El Sobrante, CA
“Excellent Book! Very informative.”
– L.B., Mandeville, LA
“I enjoyed how the reading material was straightforward. I also like how the test answers were not buried. They were right there in black and white.”
– R.M., Millersburg, OH
“This was very informative. I hope to be able to use this information at work and when I enter my masters program this spring.”
– N.T., CA
“They were very fast. I received it quickly, no problems. It all worked out. Thank you.”
– D.M., RDA, CA
“Great insight! Very educational & would recommend to anyone, not just nursing personnel.”
– G.R., CNA, NV
“Thanks for assisting me with the online process. Excellent service!”
– L.O., RN, CA
“A very good course!”
– M.F.W., LVN, CA
“The course was in depth, yet interesting and the price was great for 30 units.”