Skip to content
Scroll To Top
- Identify various goals of cultural competence.
- Define culture and explain how it affects care.
- Identify steps that should be taken to put cultural competence into practice.
- Distinguish between minority and diversity, and between race and ethnicity.
- Make a comparison of common values of Anglo-Americans and other ethnocultural groups.
- Describe the six points along the cultural competence continuum and their characteristics.
- Describe the five essential elements that contribute to an agency’s ability to become more culturally competent.
- List a set of underlying values that define cultural competence.
- Discuss some concrete actions that agencies can take to improve their services to minority clients.
- List 24 attributes, knowledge areas, and skills that are essential to the development of cultural or ethnic competence.
- Describe the demographic and health profiles of Hispanics, African Americans, Asians, and American Indians.
- Compare a fee-for-service mental health service model with a managed care service model for Latinos.
- Outline the mental health needs of Hispanics in the United States.
- Describe the demographics background of Hispanics.
- Describe the mental health and substance use problems of Hispanics.
- Outline steps that should be taken to close the service gap in reaching Latinos in need of mental care.
- List 9 principles that govern the development of culturally competent programs.
- Identify characteristics of programs that are culturally competent at the policy making level, at the administrative level, and at the service level.
- Make a cultural competence checklist for success.
- Differentiate between surface structure and deep structure in the concept of cultural competency.
- Describe structural and cultural barriers elderly minorities face in accessing health care.
- List 6 essential principles of interpreter services.
- Describe and differentiate between the three M’s of culturally competent interventions – the macro, mezzo, and micro.
- Describe characteristics of culturally competent service delivery.