After completing this course, you will be able to:
Chapter 1: Fundamental Procedures
- Identify correct procedures for patient admission,
transfer and discharge.
- Name assessment techniques relating to performing a
head to toe physical assessment
- Enumerate tips for writing an effective patient care
- Describe safety and mobility guidelines relating to
restraints and devices to assist in progressive ambulation.
- Describe good body mechanics and explain transfer
- Identify a variety of special beds.
- Describe care techniques relating to personal hygiene
and patient comfort.
- Discuss nutrition and elimination.
- Implement preoperative and postoperative care.
- Discuss spiritual and terminal care.
Chapter 2: Infection Control
- Recite general principles of hand washing and
isolation equipment use.
- Identify reportable diseases.
- Discuss guidelines for universal precautions,
respiratory isolation and neutropenic isolation.
Chapter 3: Specimen Collection and Testing
- Differentiate blood specimen collection techniques
such as venipuncture, cultures and arterial puncture.
- Differentiate urine collection for various urine
- Conduct stool specimen collection.
- Describe other various specimen collection techniques
Chapter 4: Physical Treatments
- Describe benefits and contraindications for heat and
- Prepare and implement use of hyperthermia-hypothermia
- Implement Sitz baths, therapeutic baths and soaks.
- Explain the application and assessment of support
devices such as antiembolism stockings, sequential compression therapy,
elastic bandages, binders and pressure dressings.
- Explain the management of surgical wounds.
- Describe suture removal and removal of skin staples
- Explain the management of wound dehiscence and
- Explain the management of traumatic wounds.
- Describe and differentiate external radiation
therapy, radiation implant therapy and radioactive iodine therapy.
Chapter 5: Drug Administration
- Differentiate and implement different types of
topical drug administration such as topical skin and transdermal drug
administration; eye medications, ear drops, inhalers, nasal medications,
- Differentiate and implement various enteral drug
administration techniques such as oral, nasogastric tube buccal, sublingual
- Differentiate and implement various parenteral drug
administration techniques such as subcutaneous, intradermal, intramuscular,
and Z-track injections as well as intraosseous infusion and drug infusion
through a secondary IV line and IV bolus.
- Explain the preparation and handling of
- Explain the administration of chemotherapeutic drugs.
- Describe various special administration techniques
such as epidural administration, drug infusion through a reservoir,
endotracheal administration and implants.
Chapter 6: Intravascular Therapy
- Describe the preparation and implementation of I.V.
therapy lines such as use of a volume-control set, peripheral I.V. lines,
intermittent infusion device.
- Explain the maintenance of peripheral I. V. sites and
- Prepare for and describe the implementation of
central venous and arterial lines and implanted vascular access devices.
- Explain flow rate calculation.
- Explain the use of I. V. controllers and pumps.
- Explain equipment preparation and administration of
TPN and lipid emulsions.
- Describe patient monitoring during TPN.
- Explain equipment preparation, nursing procedures,
and guidelines for transfusion of blood and blood components.
- Explain the management of transfusion reactions.
- Discuss autologous transfusion.
Chapter 7: Cardiovascular Care
- Describe various cardiovascular monitoring devices
such as ECG, arterial pressure monitoring, pulmonary artery pressure
monitoring, central venous pressure monitoring and cardiac output
- Differentiate between various cardiovascular
treatments such as pacemakers, code management, CPR, defibrillation,
synchronized cardioversion, vagal maneuvers, ventricular assist device, IABP,
PTCA, balloon valvuloplasty, and antishock trousers.
Chapter 8: Respiratory Care
- Differentiate various respiratory monitoring.
- Explain obstructed airway management.
- Differentiate various airway devices.
- Explain tracheostomy care, tracheal suctioning,
endotracheal tube care.
- Describe cricothyrotomy.
- Differentiate various oxygen administration
- Describe chest physiotherapy, thoracentesis, chest
tube insertion and thoracic drainage.
Chapter 9: Neurologic Care
- Explain neurologic assessment and neurologic vital
- Differentiate various intracranial pressure
- Explain cerebral blood flow monitoring.
- Describe various treatments such as cerebrospinal
fluid drains, halo-vest and skull tong traction, and TENS unit treatment.
- Describe some pain assessment techniques.
Chapter 10: Gastrointestinal Care
- Discuss NG tube insertion and removal and NG tube
- Discuss gastric lavage.
- Describe tube feeding techniques and procedures.
- Differentiate nasoenteric-decompression tubes and
- Describe nasoenteric-decompression and esophageal
- Explain rectal tube insertion and removal.
- Explain administration of an enema.
- Describe and differentiate various transabdominal
assess procedures such as gastrostomy, colostomy, ileostomy, T-tube,
abdominal paracentesis and peritoneal lavage.
Chapter 11: Renal and Urologic Care
- Describe procedures relating to indwelling urinary
- Explain intermittent self-catheterization.
- Describe surgical urinary diversion.
- Explain various dialysis procedures such as
peritoneal dialysis, hemodialysis and continuous arteriovenous hemofiltration.
Chapter 12: Orthopedic Care
- Describe various orthopedic supports and explain
- Identify some traction and fixation devices.
- Explain stump and prosthesis care.
- Explain arthroplasty care.
- Explain electrical bone growth stimulation.
Chapter 13: Skin Care
- Describe pressure ulcers and explain pressure ulcer
- Explain burn care.
- Identify biological burn dressings.
- Explain mechanical debridement.
- Explain skin graft care.
- Discuss ultraviolet light therapy and laser therapy.
Chapter 14: Eye, Ear and Nose Care
- Discuss the implementation of procedures involving
eye, ear and nose care.
Chapter 15: Maternal - Neonatal Care
- Discuss procedures for fetal assessment.
- Discuss the labor and delivery process.
- Discuss neonatal monitoring.
- Discuss various neonatal treatments.
- Discuss neonatal feeding techniques.
- Explain the procedures of circumcision and RhoGAM
Chapter 16: Pediatric Care
- Explain the process of urine collection in the
- Discuss procedures for various treatments that apply
to the pediatric patient such as drug administration, I.V. therapy, mist tent
therapy, CPR, Bryant’s traction and hip spica cast care.
Chapter 17: Geriatric Care
- Discuss the management of incontinence.
- Discuss drug therapy as it relates to the elderly
- Discuss the prevention and management of falls.
of Individual Objectives
To assess the
effectiveness of the course material, we ask that you evaluate your achievement of
each learning objective on a scale of A to D (A=excellent, B=good, C=fair,
D=unsatisfactory). Please indicate your responses next to each learning objective
and return it to us with your completed exam.